Tuesday, June 21, 2011

What's On the Mind

So I decided that coming back to Chicago for a job interview was a good idea. In the car, I heard the song, "Breakaway" by Kelly Clarkston and the lyrics, "Make a wish, take a chance, make a change, and break away" really speak to me. It was in that moment that I decided if I got the job, I would move to Chicago no questions asked. 

Then I get to Chicago and explore a bit. Still love it here, love that Argo Tea is here and I could literally have some EVERYDAY! Love the atmosphere and the people. The cab driver overheard a conversation I was having on my cell and when I got out of the cab, he said, "Good luck on your interview! If you move here, you will really like it!" Then, at a store I spotted a shirt I wanted over the weekend and went back to get today, the woman asked what I was doing back so quickly, and I told her it was for a job interview and she said, "Good luck to you!" as I was leaving. What friendly people Chicago has!

The conversation I had on my cell in the cab ride was a turning point though. It was a call from one of my teachers during teacher training. She was asked to call me by Jonny Kest and then was also asked to work with me individually so that I could possibly start working at their Ann Arbor studio as soon as possible. This is literally a dream come true. Jonny Kest is known worldwide and having this opportunity means a lot to me. Working for and with Jonny Kest for just a year would open a lot of doors to me. The catch: I'd have to stay in Ann Arbor.

So here I am: In Chicago, here for an interview. Now I am debating on whether or not to even go because I know I would get way more out of working for Jonny Kest than I would with Lululemon. I would probably also get paid more if I am teaching classes full time than I would get paid at Lululemon. This is not to downgrade Lululemon in any way. They are a GREAT company and I would love to work for them, however, I am a yoga teacher. I want to be a yoga teacher and inspire and change lives. Lululemon does offer teaching opportunities, but not to the extent that Center for Yoga would. Working for CFY for a year would allow me to really grow as a teacher, and learn under some of the most amazing teachers. 

I went and walked around a local park just to think and here's what I came up with: As much as I want to spread my wings, get out of Michigan, and make a BIG change, I'm beginning to think that staying in Ann Arbor for another year wouldn't be that bad. Yes, I'm ready to leave Ann Arbor, but staying there would give me a chance to save up some money and really explore some other job opportunities for when I am ready to really leave. Staying would mean that I could finish my classes for PA school and possibly start some research. It would mean Michigan Football. It could also mean a chance at love (even though I think that no matter where you go, there's always a chance at love). 

Staying would give me a chance to really say goodbye to Ann Arbor instead of just hurrying and moving within the next month or two. Chicago will always be here, and I have plenty of people to visit here. 

There are a few drawbacks. I'm afraid that if I stay in Michigan, I will get stuck and never leave, and I don't want that to happen. I'm also afraid that if I stay, it may be hard for me to stay away from someone I know is not good for me. 

So I have two job offers with two amazing companies in two wonderful cities. I've lived in one for the last 6 years, and the other would be new and exciting to explore. One would give me a chance to spread my wings and fly a little, and the other would keep me where I'm comfortable. 

Decisions, decisions . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment