Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Looking Back

I've heard that Jonny Kest's teacher training is life changing, but never truly believed it until now. Upon completion of my teacher training with Jonny Kest, I can honestly say that it has changed my life. I went from feeling lost and not knowing where my life was headed (where I participated in some seriously dangerous activities and behaviors on a regular basis) to a life with purpose and meaning. And according to the yogis, that's the only way to live life: live a life filled with purpose and meaning. 

Initially, I wanted to do teacher training so I could get a job. I started yoga because it was something my mom and I could share together. This was eight years ago. I never did yoga consistently until last December, when I started practicing yoga everyday. 

Teacher training became so much more by the second meeting. I was asked to write an essay about my highest aspiration. Deeply personal, I had a hard time starting it, but no problem finishing it once I started. I was asked to read my essay aloud in class that evening. I was scared shitless. Not only was I being asked to read something in front of the entire class (I believe that I am a terrible writer), but I was being asked to read aloud something very personal. I read my essay, shaking and rocking back and forth. Once I finished, everyone clapped and I felt some relief. After class was over, many of my classmates came up to me and said that what I wrote was beautiful and it really touched them. I didn't get full relief until my teacher came up to me and thanked me for reading my essay. He told me something that will stick with me for the rest of my life: "To open your heart and be vulnerable allows others to open their hearts and be vulnerable too."

If that was all I learned from teacher training, that's enough for me.

BUT . . . 

I learned so much more! I learned how to love and accept myself for who I am. I learned to not let the little things stress me out. I learned to really love the life I live and live the life I love. Most of all, I've learned that when life knocks you down to your knees, it's an opportunity for growth. Lastly, I learned that when I start to get scared, stressed, or upset, that just breathing will do. :-)

To all my fellow classmates and my teachers, thank you for allowing to me be in the presence of greatness. You are all great in your own way and I know you will all make great yoga teachers. I love you all and thank you so much for helping me find my way and who I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment